How many of you actually love gizzards the way I do? How many have tried it? It seems to be a love/hate relationship for most people. Either they love it, or they hate it. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but this is one of my favorite ways. Deep fried. What isn't good deep fried?
Now, this recipe, like most of my other recipes, is just dependent on your tastes. The spices you choose is strictly up to you. The ingredients I'm posting is my favorite blend. If you don't want cayenne, don't add any! Want more? Add some more in! Just plain salt and pepper? Go for it. Again, totally up to you. Honestly, I don't even know how much of anything I threw in. It's just to give you an idea of the proportions I used.
1 package chicken gizzards (should be 1-2 lbs)
1 tbs lemon pepper
1 tbs cayenne pepper
1/2 tbs paprika
All Purpose flour
1 stalk green onions (optional, for garnish)
4 cups vegetable oil, for deep frying
1) Bring pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add in gizzards. Boil for 10 minutes and remove gizzards. Pour out water and rinse gizzards. This will get rid of the nasty impurities and other scum that you'll find in your pot.
2) Bring a new batch of water to a boil. Add gizzards again and let simmer on very low heat for two hours.
3) After two hours, turn off heat. You can remove gizzards now and let cool to room temperature before handling. I just boil the gizzards in the morning and when I'm about to prep dinner I get this ready.
4) When cool enough to handle, cut the gizzards into bite sized pieces.
5) Season the gizzards to your liking.
6) After seasoning the gizzards, combine in a bag with all purpose flour. Shake bag well to coat the gizzards.
7) Carefully add the gizzards to vegetable oil that's been heated to about 350 degrees. Deep fry for about 3 minutes, until gizzards are GBD - Golden Brown and Delicious.
8) Remove from oil and drain over a cooling rack lined with paper towels. Plate this with green onions which has been sliced thinly. Squeeze some lemon over the gizzards if desired.
So give this recipe a try. If you have friends that are squeamish, go ahead and lie to them. Tell them it's like, I don't know, deep fried pork or something. You can blame it on me. But they'll thank you afterwards because I'm sure they'll love this recipe! If you have friends that are already right minded and love gizzards, they'll love you too! So be loved and give my recipe a try. Let me know what you think, enjoy!